Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 4 & 5, 2010 - Kunming, Yunnan, China

From Caohai on the western side of Guizhou I took a local then overnight train to Kunming, the capital city of Yunnan province.  Kunming is a nice city and I stayed at a pretty good hostel there - Cloudland hostel (I assume the name makes more sense in Chinese).  I spent part of the day in Kunming buying a replacement USB flash drive (note to self - DO NOT leave anything in PCs at internet cafes when you intend to get on a train and ride for 10 hours) and the next day headed out for a walk around Xi Shan - the west hills.  My route up and around the hill(s) could certainly not be called conventional but I made it to the top via trail, road and finally a bit of cross-country. There were very few people on my route, which made some sense as it was very much the long way up.  The views of Dian Chi lake and Kunming city from the top were quite spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment