Sunday, May 16, 2010

May 3, 2010, Caohai Lake, Guizhou, China, Part 1

The next day after a quick breakfast at the market I headed out to the lake.  Caohai is known for the massive quantity of over-wintering birds that visit in season. Since it's spring the birds were thin on the ground (or water), but the lake was very peaceful anyway (once I had managed to teach my boat companions to listen to the sounds of nature rather than yelling at each other.  I have this theory that Chinese are afraid of silence since they grow up in such a crowded society and as such they seek to make noise wherever they go, to avoid the horrifying sound of silence. I told this to the Chinese I was with and they shut up. It was great!).  I know, I am smiling in one of these photos.  No rice wine required this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment