Sunday, May 16, 2010

A feast in Zhaoxing

After my exploration of the area on foot and a failed attempt to climb to the top of one of the peaks in the area I returned to Zhaoxing.  As I was relaxing with a beer I heard a blood-curdling scream and raced outside to see what all the commotion was about.  It turned out that 3 pigs were being slaughtered (I have left out the more graphic images, I can post them if you want, just let me know).  A feast was being prepared to celebrate the passing of an important person in the village and dozens of people were working to kill and prep the pigs and cook the rice.  Even at this preparation stage (the day before the main event) the mood was festive and all everyone was helping out.  I was invited to sit with them and I watched the proceedings for quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment