Friday, September 10, 2010

August 16 - 20. Back in Germany for beer tasting and bike riding

Once we were settled back into the flat, all washed and laundered I set out to continue my sampling of as many of Munich's breweries as possible as well as planning my foray into Eastern Europe.  I was considering buying a bike and doing it that way but time constraints mean it's not the best option.  Next time.  We took one evening to visit a couple of the local biergartens and sampled the rest in bottles.  All I can say is for less than €1 a bottle this stuff's got to be the best in the world...until I make it to Belgium at least.  At the end of the week Chris had to go down to the town of Friedrichshafen on Lake Constance for work so I went down too. I did a bit of a bike tour around the towns of Lindau, Friedrichshafen, Meersburg and Konstanz, as well as a 5 minute visit to Switzerland.  The scenery around the lake is very pleasant and the small old towns very quaint.  Meersburg has a very large and imposing castle that looks worth exploring one day when €10 to get in doesn't seem like a big hurdle.  Take a look at some of the pics.

Beer by the litre and bretzel (pretzel).  A Munich classic
The research continues...

Lindau waterfront.  Nice.


Lindau

A modest lakeside summer home set on 40 acres.
Old school farmer with apples for sale on the side of the road
Church with cool towers, Friedrichshafen
Weird but cool viewing platform over Lake Constance (Bodensee)
Dinner by the lake
Friedrichshafen is famous for zeppelins so I had to take this photo

Meersburg - a ton of cool old buildings

Meersburg
Meersburg from the lake
Meersburg castle
Konstanz seen over the Rhine
Konstanz
Switzerland.  Even 5 minutes almost bankrupted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment